EA Sports welcomes you to the future of sports gaming with NHL 09. Building on NHL 08 – winner of seven ‘Sports Game of the Year’ awards – EA Sports continues to evolve the NHL series with innovative control enhancements, added depth and accessibility.
NHL 09 brings ‘Be A Pro’ to the ice, which allows gamers to step on the ice as themselves through a dynamic camera angle in two compelling modes. In the single-player offline ‘Be A Pro’ Mode you will earn your own hockey card as you progress from the AHL to the NHL. NHL 2009 will also be the first true console sports massively multiplayer online game allowing you to assemble a team online featuring your created player and five friends in the new EA Sports Hockey League.The Skill Stick system from the past two NHL games evolves yet again in NHL 09 to bring precision control to the defensive side of the puck.
The all-new defensive skill stick gives you 360 control over your stick’s movement. Block passing lanes, poke check more effectively and for the first time ever, lift an opponent’s stick to prevent a shot. Take a proven formula, sprinkle on some innovation, throw in a whole new way to play and see for yourself why every EA Sports gamer will love NHL 09.
- Defensive Skill Stick – NHL 08 gave you true offensive prowess with the Skill Stick, and this year, you have the power to stop it. Block passing lanes with 360 control of your stick or kill an opponent’s one timer game by lifting their stick just before they receive a pass
- Be A Pro – A dynamic 3rd person camera puts you in the role of one player on a team. The Performance Tracker will rate your play in over 50 categories, to make sure you know what parts of your game need to improve. Start your career off in the ranks of the AHL and become one of the best in the NHL. Your very own hockey card will mark your progress, from your rookie beginnings to a potentially legendary ending
- Create-A-Play Breakouts – create a winning strategy in both online and offline play. Make breakout plays from your own zone or set up behind your net and tell your right winger to look for the flip dump from the defenseman
- NHL 94 Controls – Hit, pass, shoot, and score using the simplified two-button control system featured in NHL 94. So even if you’re new to the game, you can challenge the best of the best
- One-handed Dekes – When you are skating in on a breakaway, tap the puck to one hand and tuck the puck behind a sprawling goalie for the ultimate finish.